7 Signs You May Have Whiplash & Why to Visit a Chiropractor After an Auto Accident
Whiplash is the result of an abrupt back and forth jerking motion. This sudden movement can cause tears to the muscles and tendons in your neck, triggering pain and discomfort.
The most common cause of whiplash is being in an auto accident. Whiplash might not be felt immediately, as it can often take several days after the accident to develop. It’s important to be aware of the signs of this injury, as well as whiplash treatment options that are available.
7 Signs You May Have Whiplash
If you think you may have whiplash after being in an auto accident, there are a few symptoms to be on the lookout for. Here are the most common ones:
- Neck Pain and Stiffness
- Loss of Range of Motion in the Neck
- Tenderness in the arms, shoulder, or upper back
- Persistent Headaches
- Tingling or Numbness in the Arms
- Dizziness or Blurred Vision
- Ringing in the Ears
Why You Should See a Chiropractor After an Auto Accident
Whiplash can heal on its own, however the recovery time can be anywhere from a few days to several weeks. If you find that the discomfort is persistent, it would be wise to seek help from a chiropractor for whiplash treatment. Because every case of whiplash is different, a chiropractor can tailor treatment to your needs.
Treatment options include:
- Manipulation: The chiropractor will use their hands or an instrument to carefully move the joint in question in the direction in which it’s restricted to improve motion and relieve pain.
- Muscle Relaxation and/or Stimulation: This option consists of gentle stretches in the area where the excessive tension resides. Sometimes a more vigorous stretch is required.
- Various Exercises: At your appointment, the chiropractor can show you how to do simple exercises to relieve discomfort. They can then be done at home.
Are you seeking whiplash treatment? Dr. Ammon Jacobson is certified in the McKenzie method, which is a safe and reliable way to diagnose and treat conditions of the neck and back. Contact Smith Chiropractic today and schedule an appointment to discuss treatment options for your injury. Give our office a call at (719) 390-5404.